Saturday 9 October 2010

Gas Spores vs. Gorbels

1. A trick monster that depends on players being both hip and naive - knowing about beholders, being dumb enough to run up to melee range with one and take a swing on it, but not having cracked the Monster Manual to know that if it's not firing eye rays at you, you had better stand at 100' and deal with it via arrows...

2. A trick monster that AAA THE CLAWS ARE IN MY BACK I DON'T CARE IF IT EXPLODES GET IT OFF.

Sorry folks. Sometimes the Fiend Folio is better.

I apologize for this short fun break, and soon enough will return to the grind of theory and design.

4 comments:

  1. One of the great things about the gorbel the illustration. The creatures look of idiot malice contrasted with the Fez-wearing dudes expression of abject terror. Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get my players good and used to gas spores and then I spring beholders on them. I've probably only used gorbel once or twice, must correct that error.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figure you can just about fill the 25% of the Monster Manual that was junk with the 25% of the Fiend Folio that was good. More to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally got to unleash Gorbels on a party a while back and it was a thing of beauty. Even when they were higher level, the party still ran in terror as the Gorbels, who ran in packs, would appear on the horizon, gibbering and hopping about.

    ReplyDelete